Thursday, October 25, 2007

The Thoughtful Game

When it comes to treats at the office, I often imagine myself to be a soccer player trying to get my ball past the other team. I dodge, I move sideways, sometimes I move backwards, sometimes I move forwards, and sometimes I get tackled. Up until now, I've always thought that my team had only one player – me.

It's nice then to know that this is not the case. I was approached yesterday morning by a coworker who wanted to know if it was okay if she brought treats in to the office. She knows I've been watching what I eat and has been rooting for me, but she also likes to bring the occasional treat in for the office. I was so very touched that she brought this up with me as she didn't want to impede my progress.

I told her as much and thanked her for thinking of me. But I did go on to say that though I appreciated the thought, I really don't expect anyone to act or eat differently because of me. In fact, I'd be mortified if someone felt they couldn't have something because of me. I encouraged her to bring treats whenever she wanted and that I wouldn't mind in the least. If I wanted to have some, I would. And if I didn't, well, I hoped it was understood that I wasn't being ungrateful.

As I dodge, duck and shuffle my ball along, around the treats and players, I know it's not a game that is easy but it is necessary. I can't expect everyone to dive out of my way or pick me up and carry me, ball and all, to the goal post. It's life, plain and simple, burly players, red cards and all. However, it's still nice to know the playing field isn't full of enemies and that there's at least one other player out there that doesn't want to take my ball away. Hopefully she knows that I don't want to take away her ball either.