Wednesday, August 22, 2007

The slippery slope

I haven't been doing the best that I could be doing on Weight Watchers during the last month. I know this because, among other things, I haven't been tracking as carefully as I should be. I've been going on a slow insidious downhill slide. It started around the time my doctor decreased the dosage of my medication for depression. Normally I'm on an even keel, but a change in dosage caused the whole ship to shudder.

When I'm in a funk, it's hard to function. Anyone who's ever battled with depression knows what this is like. In my case, though I wasn't binging, I wasn't caring a whole lot about what was going in my mouth. I gave myself permission to skip eating a few veggies one day. That slipped to two days, and sooner than you can say "I hate beets," a week and a half had passed with a spotty record of meeting the healthy guidelines of fruits, veggies, milk, water, oil, you name it.

Fortunately, the funk passed, but it was replaced by an increase in projects at work. Which left no time for me to indulge in my favourite internet hobby of reading up on all things Weight Watches. Between this and the funk, I've felt rather isolated and like I'm not really following the program despite tracking my points every day.

This brings me to a few realizations. The first, is that if you give yourself permission to slip, you better be sure it doesn't lead to that slippery slope. Or, if you find yourself halfway down that slope, find a rope, tie a knot in it, and hang on. The second, is the importance of connection and community. Taking inspiration from others is not a small thing. It keeps you going and reminds you that you're not alone.

This week for me has been going better. My mood is up and I've recommitted to careful tracking and meeting the healthy guidelines, veggies included. I'm also going to make time to participate in the WW community a bit more. If not in the day, in the evening at least. I do so enjoy reading everyone's blogs and I miss it. Tonight though, it's time for bed. My rope is tied and I'm hanging on. And as they say, tomorrow is a new day.

4 comments:

ElleBee said...

Hey there - sounds like you just needed some time to adjust to the new meds (dosage.) I wouldn't worry too much, just get back on track and "immersed" in the WW's world again :)

Cheers!

Leslie said...

I think you're doing fantastic... and it's ok to have little hiccups here and there (ESPECIALLY if you're adjusting to medication)... I don't believe for one second that you will slide down that slope.. you've come so far and it's so inevitable that you will reach your goal!!! GO GIRLIE!!!!

Heather said...

I wouldn't worry too much I've been going down a slippery slope of late and have nothing to blame it on besides myself...lol.

You've come so far, you should be really proud of yourself!

Leslie said...

Hi Tiny... and Trim :) Just checking in as I do daily and noticed you haven't been blogging... I must say I miss your posts, but more importantly, I hope you're doing ok. I know you're going through a hard time right now, and so am sending you good luck vibes...

Hope to see you back on here soon, and happy and healthy!