Thursday, November 15, 2007

Seasonal Treats

It's that time of year again. Seasonal goodies are coming out of the woodwork. Fortunately, I've found a number of low-point treats to tide me over and I thought I'd share.
  • Mandarin Oranges - easy to peel, eat, and they taste great. One orange will give you a serving of fruit and almost 40% of your daily vitamin C. And, if you manage to remove the peel in one piece, your wish will come true! Or at least that's what my grandpa used to tell me. A medium mandarin is just half a point.
  • Celestial Seasonings Teas - there's a whole variety of holiday teas out now, my favourite being Candy Cane Lane. Yum! Of course it just makes me want to add cream and sugar to it, hehe. Also look for Mandarin Orange Spice. Although technically not a "holiday" tea, it's still Christmasy to me! Also keep in mind that with no added cream or sugar, herbal teas are zero points.
  • Starbucks Sugar-free Gingerbread Latte - a tall non-fat latte with sugar-free gingerbread syrup (and no whip) is the same points as a regular latte but with Christmas mixed in. If you're not big on sugar-free syrups, get a "short" instead and go for the real deal. While you might not get as big a cup, it's still just 2 points.
I've had all of these over the last week or so and am feeling very spoiled and Christmasy. In fact, I'm sipping a cup of Mandarin Orange Spice right now, thinking longingly of the next time I go to Starbucks, and eyeing the green paper-wrapped oranges on the table. Now all I need is for someone to invent no calorie whipped shortbread!

If anyone else has low-point holiday treat ideas, please share!

1 comment:

Vanessa said...

Christmas teas and oranges are two of my favorite things about the holiday season :)