Saturday, March 8, 2008

Fifty-seventh Weigh-in



There you have it. Proof that wearing lucky socks really works. I did not wear them today. I gained .6 lbs. Coincidence? I think not.

But seriously, I was expecting that and was surprised it wasn't more. Up until now I've never had to deal with water retention during that time of the month. Since I went off birth control pills a few months ago, my period has gradually returned to that "joyous" (and I use the term loosely) occurrence it used to be. It started the day before weigh-in and I've been puffed up like a balloon ever since. Blech.

Notice how I'm blaming it mostly on water retention? No, I didn't forget about last weekend's eating spree. But when I sat down and really thought about it, it wasn't all that bad. At least that's what I'm telling myself.

Plus, water retention segues nicely into one of the meeting topics we discussed today. Our leader wrote up a small chart comparing the sodium levels in processed food with those in unprocessed food. It was a real eye opener to see just how much extra sodium we're consuming for the sake of convenience.

Instant oatmeal was the biggest shocker. For the pre-packaged kind, it can have anywhere between 80 mg and 270 mg of sodium in it. But if you make it the old-fashioned way, it has less than 5 mg per serving. Unbelievable, eh?

Even still, I'm not going to give up entirely on convenience foods. However, it's sure going to make me think twice about it. And maybe I'll try to make extra time to cook from scratch even more than I already do.

1 comment:

Jenera said...

AT my hubby's last physical, they warned him on his sodium content because he had HIGH blood pressure. We cut out almost all our sodium and started paying attention to the labels and you'd be suprised. BEcause he was eating convenience foods in the big truck, he was getting something like 250% of his daily value-not good.

Now he's doing much better and on top of losing weight, his blood pressure is finally in a normal range.