Thursday, March 13, 2008

Giving yourself credit

It's been a few weeks since I last talked about the Beck Diet Solution. Things went sideways and I stopped reading my response cards and all that jazz. But there was one thing that I kept doing and that was to stop and give myself credit every day.

Every evening I crawl into bed and grab my notebook from my bedside table. I jot down the date and everything that I accomplished that day towards my weight loss goals. I do it even on the days that I'm not so proud of.

Invariably, I always find something good that I've done despite my best (or worst) efforts. It could be as simple as drinking all of my water. Or even a single glass of water. Heck, there's been some days when it was a miracle I even got out of bed.

Writing the good choices down really helps with my "I blew a tire on the freeway, might as well slash the other tires" sort of mentality. Focusing on the positive takes the power away from the negative. And, since I compartmentalize everything into one day at a time, every day is a new opportunity to write something good down in my "Yay me" journal.

1 comment:

Jenera said...

My form of your journal is talking to my hubby at the end of the day. I tell him if I did good on eating-or not. I tell him if I made my water goal. If I did any exercise. I talk about the bad and the good. It helps a lot and allows me to look at every day as a new one.