Monday, April 14, 2008

Maybe it’s Maybelline?

I don't know...is it? Somebody please tell me because I'm completely clueless when it comes to skin care, makeup, or even leg shaving. When I was growing up, importance was placed on how much sand and dirt you could come home with between your fingers and toes. Moisturizer? Pffft.

But as I've gotten thinner, I'm looking at my body in a new light. I used to take it for granted. With Weight Watchers and exercise, I've been taking care of the inside. Now that I'm feeling fabulous on the inside, it's time to take care of the outside.

So I've been googling. Yes, googling. For product reviews. It's so sad, it's funny. I feel like Data from Star Trek trying to emulate human behaviour; the more I learn, the more baffled I become. Like toner. I don't know what it is. I know the kind that goes in a laser printer, but somehow I don't think it's the same thing you splash on your face. Unless being smeared with charcoal is the new look for spring?

The mysteries of toner aside, I've so far put together that I should be cleansing my face twice a day and using moisturizer. Accordingly, I've bought cleanser and a moisturizer with sunscreen. And because I'm a deer in the headlights and susceptible to marketing, I also bought a doomahickey that looks exactly like a miniature belt sander for your face.

I used my new products over the weekend and my face actually feels fresh and smooth. Maybe this face cleaning thing isn't so bad? I'll try it for awhile and see how it goes. My next step might even involve makeup. And then, dear readers, I really will be asking if it's Maybelline. Or Cover Girl. Or...or...or well I've run out of names because, as you've no doubt already concluded, I'm clueless ;)

3 comments:

Julie said...

Trust me when I say, I am more confused on the whole cosmetic/ pretty part of being a woman. I have never taken care of my skin and never wear makeup.
In the past year I have been trying harder to make myself look "polished"!
Good luck!!
P.S let me know if you find great products!!

JessiesBlog said...

I loooove the feeling of a fresh clean face!! It's one of my favorite things!
Well my dear I think that when you get to the makeup adventure you might want to go to Shoppers Drug Mart or The Bay and make a consultation appointment with a makeup artist there... Sometimes the ladies are fabulous the odd time you get someone that doesn't really know what they're doing... Good Luck!

Paige'smom said...

You make me giggle.

You should check out the clinique three step program for cleaning your face. clean, tone, moisturize. It is simple with no smell to it. Also it is hypoallergenic and mild.

As for make up - when you get there.. book a free consult with one of the counters at Sears, or the bay. You don't have to buy the product but they will tell you your colours, etc and you can try before you buy.

For cleaning my face, I use the body shop seaweed cleaner (they have the other parts as well, toner, moisturizer) it is for oily skin - which I totaly need when I exercise. I use biotherm age fitness moisturizer. I, too have taken more interest in taking care of myself since I lost weight.

Now, I could talk product for days!!!!!! AND it is true, you get what you pay for in cosmetics!

Enjoy exploring!!!!