Sunday, June 17, 2007

When the family notices

It's nice and all to for people to notice I've lost weight, but for some reason, it's different when it's family doing the noticing. I'll either get mothered to death (you'll starve!) or I'll get something that's meant to be a compliment but just comes out altogether wrong.

Family being the complex dysfunctional organism that it is, I tend to avoid mine like the plague. In fact, I've done so well at it this year, they haven't seen me since before I started Weight Watchers. But this being Father's Day and all, it was somewhat hard to get out of taking my Dad to dinner.

I had a private bet with myself that he wouldn't notice or if he did, he'd do something tactless and then go back his favourite subject (him). Unfortunately, I won my bet. After sitting down at the restaurant and going on about his life as he is usually wont to do, he cocked his head to the side, looked pointedly at my waist and said, "have you lost weight?" When I said yes, he grunted and said "good for you" and went right back to talking about himself.

The sizing up of my waistline as if I was some farm animal being assessed for sale is about par for the course. This is the man who would greet his children with "get a haircut" after not seeing them for two weeks. I know he means well, but dayum if that man can't learn tact one of these days.

Sigh. Family. Can't live with them, can't live without them. And even though technically this is a Non-scale Victory, I just can't bring myself to add the label to it.

No comments: