Tuesday, May 29, 2007

On setting my goal weight...

Since starting Weight Watchers, I've been focused on losing 74 lbs. Now, I'm not so sure anymore. After reaching my 10%, I had a chat with my meeting leader about setting my official goal. She seemed to indicate I should set it at the high end of my weight range which is 141 lbs. This confused me greatly (I thought she was saying that I'd never get lower than that), but thanks to the great people at the forums, I realized she was trying to help me get to goal quicker so I wouldn't have to pay as much.

Nice intentions aside, I'm still not sure I want to do that. Saving money is great, but I'm not too concerned about that. Not that money grows on trees but that when I first started, I committed to myself that I would pay right through till goal, whatever that might be. Others have also said setting a high-end gives you a nice cushion in the event of life's little bumps. This is true, but...

Well, what about my own personal goal? I know I want to be 130 lbs and I'd rather be in the 120s. The last time I was 140 lbs, I was definitely on the big feeling side. Setting a high-end goal is almost like giving up on that dream. I know I can set a personal goal, too, but wouldn't it be nice to have that goal and my Weight Watcher's goal coincide?

I also found a weight chart that indicated that for my age and height, the maximum I should be is 135 lbs. This is definitely more in keeping with how I feel about my body and how it handles weight.

There's lots to think about, for sure. I'm going to keep pondering this question for the rest of the week. Come weigh-in day this Saturday I'll commit to an answer.

No comments: