Thursday, March 15, 2007

Something about Salmon

I love salmon. I could eat a whole 40 pounder all by myself if given the chance. Unfortunately, I've been spoiled on really good salmon. I might as well admit it...I'm a Salmon Snob.

Equally unfortunately, I can't cook salmon worth a darn. So, you can imagine how excited I was when I found some good looking frozen and brined salmon fillets at Costco. I was leary, I was untrusting. I was fully prepared to dislike it like many a frozen fillet before. But, I gave it a chance because it had been brined (okay, well injected) with salt and water.

Fast-forward to a few days ago when I had come home feeling all mopey, I decided to cook a few fillets for supper. I sprinkled them with some ClubHouse Italian seasoning and baked until done. I gave both fillets a nice healthy squirt of fresh lemon juice each, slid them on my plate, and tentatively dug in.

Being a Salmon Snob such as myself, I can honestly say that I have a discerning taste for salmon that's nicely done. Flavourful, moist, never over cooked, a good fillet of salmon will melt in your mouth. And melt in my mouth this unassuming Kirkland brand injected salmon did.

I have not had salmon this good in years. Stranger of all...I cooked it. Even stranger and stranger of all, my I-won't-eat-things-with-scales husband, loved it. He ate all of it. Repeat: HE ATE ALL OF IT. Which sucked because I would've definitely taken care of his share. Oh wait...maybe that's a good thing.

It'll be a repeat performance at our place , that's for sure. It is a bit high in points, but oooooh so worth it.

For anyone interested, it's called Kirkland Signature Boneless Skinless Atlantic Salmon (injected with 4% of water and salt solution). Per 196g: Calories: 340, Fat: 20g, Fibre: 0g. You can find it in the frozen section of Costco Canada. YUM.

1 comment:

Jenera said...

Oooh, thanks for the tip. We love Costco but haven't bought fish yet. We are just venturing into the fish world and it's hard to find GOOD stuff at a decent price.