Monday, March 26, 2007

Here's to the sweaters

I'm a sweater. No, not the fuzzy pink, periwinkle and brown sweater that your grandmother knits you in a misguided attempt at fashion. Rather, the kind of sweater that perspires going up stairs.

I've learned to suck it up, especially at Curves. Four machines in, and I can feel the sweat start to dribble. What makes it worse is I seem to be the only sweater there.

Well tonight I found out I was not alone. There was another sweater on the circuit. She was working the machines as hard as I was. But most importantly, she was sweating. I wanted to give her a hug. Here was a lovely young lady working out and sweating just as much as me, the overweight 32-year old.

I kept stealing looks at her. Not in a "hahahaha, you sweat just as much as I do" sort of way. But rather in a "wow, there's someone just like me!" sort of way. It was inspiring and I worked harder (and sweated harder) because of it.

So here's to you, my fellow sweater. May our grandmothers creations always be wearable in public.

2 comments:

Jenera said...

I raise my hand with you as a fellow sweater. I ALWAYS sweat! It's a little embarrassing but oh well. After I finish my exercise, it just POURS off me.

TinyTrim said...

Sweaters of the world unite!

It took me many years to get up the courage just to go out in public and exercise. I will always remember my doctor asking me why I didn't exercise and giving me a "so what" look when I told her. Hehe. She was right!