Monday, January 21, 2008

Think first...but listen, too

One of the tenets that Weight Watchers strives to teach us is to "Think First." I have a lot of trouble with that. I can think first all I want, but if I don't actually listen to myself, the thinking gets conveniently put aside. It has the same effect as putting my hands over my ears and loudly singing "lalala-notlistening!"

Lately, I've been trying very hard to listen to myself. Practice patience, practice control, and actually listen to what my thoughts are telling me. Things like "do you really need that piece of chocolate or are you bored?" And "you should probably care more that your socks aren't matching."

As many of you can relate, it takes an enormous amount of self-control to listen when your stomach is yammering. Consequently, I don't always succeed (my mismatched socks, inside-out underwear and dwindling supply of chocolate is proof positive). But at least now I'm giving it a chance and not pushing it away.

My brain and my stomach are finally in therapy together. They might not be on the same couch yet, but at least they're talking – and listening – to each other now.

No comments: